My Club - Laura Jones (Sheffield Wednesday)

By Simon Wright – Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

October’s edition of ‘My Club’ sees me drop out of the Premier League and into the lower divisions for the first time. ‘My Club’ is a monthly feature where I ask a set of questions to a supporter about why they support the team in the football world that they do.

This month, I chat to Laura Jones about the highs and lows of following Sheffield Wednesday. Laura was a colleague alongside me during the days of Total Football Magazine’s existence and is a keen blogger too. In this interview, she shares her views on Dave Jones’s management of the club, the impact of Financial Fair Play and why Andy Linighan isn’t fondly remembered by Owls supporters.

1. What are your first memories of watching football?
My first real memories of watching football were in the late 1980s and early 1990s when Ron Atkinson took over at Hillsborough (pictured). 1989-1993 were pivotal years and have shaped my fascination for football from winning the League Cup in 1991, watching Italia 90 on TV and seeing the devastating effect of the Hillsborough disaster. For me, the first few years of watching football were very emotional and that’s what has stuck.

2. When did you realise that Sheffield Wednesday was the club you were going to support?
Well it was never really a question. My entire family on both sides are massive Sheffield Wednesday fans. My parents married in the close season, had their reception at Hillsborough with blue and white bridesmaids, flowers, cake and the day after I was born, I was enrolled in the Junior Owls. So I never really stood a chance of supporting anyone else!

3. In the time you’ve followed them, who has been your favourite Owls player?
David Hirst. He was the ultimate striker who could score from anywhere. Strong with frightening acceleration, he was just a joy to watch.

4. What are your highest moments following Sheffield Wednesday and also the lowest moment?
There a few highs; winning the League Cup in 1991 against Manchester United is one of the best moments, there was promotion to the Championship in the play-offs of 2005 at the Millennium Stadium and beating the local rivals Sheffield United in the FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley in 1993.

Andy Linighan is definitely in my lowest moment. It was his last minute extra time header in the FA Cup final replay in 1993 that won the cup at the last for Arsenal. It meant the Owls walked away from four visits to Wembley that season without anything to show for it and that was hard to take.

The era where David Pleat was in charge and Dave Richards was owner was also the start of our financial decline. Richards was later honoured with a knighthood and elected Chairman of the FA. At least someone did well out of the club’s utter misery!

5. How many games do you go and see on average per season?
I’m a season ticket holder so I’m at every home match and I try to get to at least two or three away matches a season. It’s proving more difficult since I moved to London recently but whilst there is breath in me, I will try.

6. Would you get value for money going to Hillsborough?
Not on this season’s performances! It depends on what you place value on I suppose. For me, I see family at the ground, get to exercise my vocal chords and watch live football. It’s worth the £35 a month for me.

7. Which football sides do you see Sheffield Wednesday get the better of?
The Championship is far too open to say any particular team. At the moment, I’d just be happy for Wednesday to take advantage of anyone.

8. It has been a slow start to the Championship season for the club, as they still haven’t registered a win. Is Dave Jones still the man for the job?
I don’t think he is if I’m being brutally honest but I’m not sure under Financial Fair Play if we can afford to get rid of him. Jones needs a strong coaching set-up behind him because he doesn’t get involved with the training by all accounts. He’s brought in equal amounts of good loan players like Stephen McPhail and Leroy Lita but also bought some really poor players. His tactics at times are baffling and his interviews always sound smug and self-satisfactory.

The fans just want to know how the faults are going to be rectified, not to hear clichés about ‘square pegs in round holes’ and how long he’s been in management for. The problem is could we get a better manager. I’m not so sure right now.

9. There was a time where the club was doing well in the Premier League with regular top seven finishes and decent cup runs too – do you believe the good times will return to the city of Sheffield in general?
Both Wednesday and United have been saying for a long that the good times will return. We’re the fifth largest city in England but yet we’re both languishing at the bottom of what are in effect the second and third divisions. Investment is all well and good, both clubs have had investment over the past few years but as FFP develops, there are now stringent budgets. All clubs are going to have to deal with austerity football, not just the Sheffield ones.

10. What are the Owls realistic targets in 2013-14?
I may not want to look at the interview at the end of the season but I don’t think we will go down. When we’ve registered the first win then we should start to collect some points. I think realistically, we’re looking at just above the relegation places.

11. Which of the summer arrivals has equipped themselves well so far and who needs to improve on their current performances?
We didn’t really sign a lot of players in the summer. I think Stephen McPhail on loan has been the strongest addition to the team so far. It’s nice to see a player put his foot on the ball and distribute it intelligently. I think if we can get Matty Fryatt fully fit and keep him until the end of the season, we might start to have some potency infront of goal. We also need to keep hold of Chris Kirkland but I think that might be a losing battle come the January sales.

The biggest disappointment for me so far this season has been Michail Antonio. His performances have been lacklustre. He has been played out of position by the manager which hasn’t helped but he’s struggled to make any significant impact so far.

12. What is your opinion on Milan Mandaric and his ownership of the club?
I think with the current performances, the chairman is getting unwarranted abuse for not ‘sticking his hand in his pocket.’ I think some fans underestimate the fact that there wouldn’t even be a Sheffield Wednesday if he hadn’t stepped in when he had. I think his ownership has been a great thing but he hasn’t been the same since his court case with Harry Redknapp over alleged tax evasion in January 2012. I truly believe that he wants to get out of football altogether which is why we’re under yet another takeover cloud.

13. Can you explain to my readers what the reason was behind a random Jose Semedo day last season?
Well Simon, every club has a mascot and Jose is ours. Once in a while, you find a player who would run through walls for your club. He may not be the most technically gifted but whatever he does, you know he’s going to give it everything. Players like that deserve our recognition and love and that’s why he was given his own day last season.

14. Last question, describe why Sheffield Wednesday is ‘Your Club’ in no more than 5/10 words?
They are part of the family.

To find out more about Sheffield Wednesday, visit their club website.

To read more about Laura’s writing, check out her blog at http://yicetor.wordpress.com/ or follow her on Twitter @YICETOR

If you would like to read my previous interviews, click on Kevin Ashburn (Sunderland) and Robert Jones (Chelsea). And if you would like to volunteer to become the next person to be interviewed for ‘My Club,’ then get in touch through my e-mail address on the Contact Details page, or through my Twitter account @Siwri88.
  

Comments