My Club - Robert Jones (Chelsea)

By Simon Wright – Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

‘My Club’ returns for the second instalment of the season.  This is a monthly feature where I ask a set of questions to a supporter about why they support the team in the football spectrum that they do. 

This month’s subject is one of the heavyweights of the British game.  Robert Jones has seen plenty of upheaval at Chelsea, but also plenty of trophies to go with.  The full-time shop worker from Milton Keynes spoke to me about how close he came to supporting Crystal Palace, why he can’t get to Stamford Bridge as much as he would like and whether Mourinho Mark II will be better than Mourinho Mark I.

What are your first memories of watching football?
My earliest memory is of England at Euro 96 when they played Spain in the quarter-finals, a game the Three Lions won on penalties.  My first vivid Chelsea memory is the 4-2 victory over Liverpool in the FA Cup fourth round in January 1997, having been 2-0 down at half-time.

When did you realise that Chelsea was the club you were going to support?
Well I actually nearly supported Crystal Palace.  I used to live in London, and Palace were my local team but my Grandfather used to show me all of his old Chelsea stuff from the 1970s.  That is how my love for Chelsea began.

In the time you’ve followed them, who has been your favourite player for the Blues and why?
Gianfranco Zola has been my ultimate favourite.  He was skilful, had the touch of a genius, scored some spectacular goals and you could tell he was a great player as fans from other teams even often said to me how good he was.

What is your highest moment following Chelsea, and also the lowest moment?
The highest moment is the first Premier League title win at Bolton in 2005.  That was very emotional, as the league title had been absent from Stamford Bridge for 50 years.  We had a great team that season, and it was wrapped up by the super consistent Frank Lampard.  It was the first sign that Roman Abramovich’s investment was paying off. 


The lowest moment has to be the Champions League final agony in Moscow against Manchester United five years ago.  We came so close, yet so far and it was a painful experience.  I was very relieved that this was rectified in Munich in 2012 against Bayern.

How many games on average do you go and see in a season?  If you haven’t, when was the last time you went to see Chelsea?
I sadly haven’t been to Stamford Bridge (pictured) for quite a while.  The last time was a Premier League encounter against Portsmouth in around 2006 or 2007.  Andriy Shevchenko and Michael Ballack got the goals in a 2-1 win.  It is too expensive for me to go again at the moment, but I’d love to see my team again in the top flight.

Would you get value for money going to west London to see Chelsea games?
I would have to say yes as you currently get to see Jose Mourinho and some of the most exciting attacking players in the Premier League.  Money wise, it is expensive as you have to pay for travel and the food prices are often quite excessive.  Only very wealthy people seem to be able to afford a CFC season ticket, and that’s a shame as I feel the normal everyday person is being priced out of football far too much at the moment.

Which football sides do you enjoy seeing Chelsea get the better of?
Tottenham Hotspur has to be top of the list.  I just don’t like them at all, then I’d say Manchester United and probably Liverpool because of the recent history between the teams.

2013 marks the tenth anniversary since Roman Abramovich took over the club and things changed forever at Stamford Bridge.  Can you share you view on the takeover when it happened in July 2003, and the pros and cons of the Abramovich era?
Roman has been great for Chelsea.  If he hadn’t taken over when he did, we could of ended up in the same boat as Leeds United did.  We have won all of the trophies there are to win, and had some great players at the club too.  The only negative to the reign is the amount of managers and the lack of time they have been given.  Only Scolari and AVB I feel where the change was the right decision because things clearly weren’t working out.  Some of the sackings have made us look ridiculous as a football club.

There has been talk of Chelsea getting a new ground.  Would you fancy a move to a new stadium?
I feel that we do need a bigger ground, but we also don’t want to leave Stamford Bridge.  It doesn’t seem like we can upgrade the stadium so unfortunately, we may have to look elsewhere.

Jose Mourinho has made a sensational return this summer.  Can he emulate the success he had of the first reign?
Of course he can.  This is Jose Mourinho at the end of the day.  Looking at the squad, I think we have better attacking options than when he was here the first time and that’s saying something considering those were the days of Arjen Robben, Damien Duff, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Didier Drogba as strong players who could score bags of goals.

Would you fear for Mourinho’s future if Chelsea failed to win any notable silverware in 2013-14?
I think he will be given this season to build the squad, but next season, he has to win the Premier League or the Champions League or he knows what will be coming.

Chelsea have been fairly active in the transfer market this summer.  Which signing are you looking forward to seeing the most, and which new player concerns you the most?
I’m really looking forward to seeing Willian.  He looks very skilful and has the potential to be great.  Also, I’m ecstatic he turned down Tottenham.  Samuel Eto’o is the player I’m concerned about.  Is he the top striker he was when he was at Inter Milan?  I don’t think he is the answer we need upfront.

What is your honest opinion of Fernando Torres, do you still have faith in him to deliver the goods at the club?
Nobody can say we haven’t given Fernando Torres a chance, but for the Premier League, he just doesn’t seem to be able to cut it at this top level.  If Rafa Benitez or Jose can’t get the best out of him, then no-one can unfortunately.

Last question, describe why Chelsea is ‘Your Club’ is no more than 5/10 words?
Chelsea is my life forever and always will be.

To find out more about Chelsea, visit the club website.

To read the first edition of 'My Club,' featuring Kevin Ashburn talk about his passion for Sunderland, click here.

If you would like to be the next supporter to be interviewed for 'My Club,' then get in touch through my e-mail address on the Contact Details page at the top of the screen.

Comments