My Club - Kevin Ashburn (Sunderland)

By Simon Wright - Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

In a new series for Simon’s Football Zone, I speak to the fans that matter.  These are the fans that support their club and have a strong passion for it too.  This is My Club.

First in the series on a monthly basis is Kevin Ashburn.  Ashburn is a University of Northampton graduate from 2012, and a loyal and dedicated fan of Sunderland FC.

I spoke to Kevin and asked him his thoughts on the upcoming season for the Black Cats, his first memories of watching football and his opinions on Newcastle United’s home kit!

What are your first memories of watching football?

My first memories of watching football were going around my cousin’s house for “the match.”  At this time, I was massively into WWF wrestling and thought I was going for that.  Turned out to be a game between Newcastle United and Blackburn Rovers in around 1995-1996 I think.  My cousin Michael was a huge Newcastle fan.

When did you realise that Sunderland was the club you wanted to support?

I was always in the middle of the sibling rivalry between my two cousins.  I ended up picking Sunderland because I honestly thought the Newcastle United home kit looked like a bar code!  It was only when I went to my first match in 1997 against Crewe Alexandra that I fully understood the love and haven’t looked back since.

In the time you’ve followed Sunderland, who do you reckon has been the Black Cats best ever player?

In my lifetime, the best player I’ve ever seen wearing the red and white stripes has to be either Kevin Phillips or Julio Arca.  Phillips for his ability to grab a goal at any time and completely change a game, and Arca for his vision, trickery and immense loyalty to the club for the time he was there.

What are your favourite moments following Sunderland, and also the lowest moment?

My favourite moment supporting Sunderland will always be beating Newcastle 2-1 at the Stadium of Light (gates pictured) in October 2008.  The Kieran Richardson free-kick will always stay with me.  The lowest is the play-off semi-final defeat to Crystal Palace in 2004.  I was at the game with my cousin and to be cheated out of an aggregate victory by a blatant bit of cheating by Chris Powell really hurt.

Are you a regular visitor to games on Wearside?

Unfortunately not and this is a shame.  Many might call me an armchair fan but if I could get there from my hometown of Rugby every other week and could afford a season ticket, I would.  I do try to get to at least two matches every season at least though.

If you went to a Sunderland home match, would you get value for money?

If you’d asked me this last season, then definitely not.  The stadium however is top notch and the view from anywhere in the ground is tremendous.  Hopefully di Canio can get the team playing well and the fans can feel they are getting value for their money.

Aside from Newcastle, which other sides do you enjoy seeing Sunderland get the better of?

I’d have to say Everton and Manchester City because it doesn’t happen very often; though we have beaten City at home in the last three seasons.  Other than that, I always like watching us beating West Ham United and Wigan Athletic too.

Were you happy with the management change in April and do you care about Paolo di Canio’s political views?

I wasn’t quite sure what Ellis Short was thinking in all fairness.  Martin O’Neill is a top manager, and even though he had gone a bit stale in the post, his track record can’t be faulted.  I felt that the last thing we needed was a revolving door at the club when it came to management.  After his first press conference though, I was impressed with Paolo di Canio and then the results started to follow.  I don’t care much about his political views at all.  As long as he gets his squad playing for him, each other and most importantly, the fans, then no-one will mention it.

Which of the new signings are you looking forward to seeing the most at the Stadium of Light this season?

I think three new signings will make a big impact this season.  Cabral was one of FC Basel’s best players in the UEFA Europa League last season, and Emanuele Giaccherini was fantastic for Italy at the Confederations Cup this summer.  I’m also impressed by young David Moberg Karlsson.  His touch and composure at the Barclays Asia Trophy was impressive.  It showed the skill of a player way beyond his years.

If there was one player you could buy in the Premier League, who would it be?

Juan Mata!  Realistically though, I’d love to see us sign Tom Huddlestone from Tottenham.  I don’t think he will get much playing time under AVB this season, and a move to a new club will refresh him and remind everyone of his potential ability.

What would be a good season for Sunderland in 2013-14?

If we can survive relegation again, it has to be seen as a positive.  As long as the team play like they want to wear the shirt, it is okay to come up short.  I’d love to say a shot at European qualification or the top 10, but I’ve got to say that avoiding relegation again would be a good season.  Beating Newcastle in the league table would be the icing on the cake!

Last question; describe why Sunderland is ‘Your Club’ in no more than one sentence?

The Premier League’s sleeping giants.

To follow Sunderland’s progress throughout the season, visit their club website.

If you would like to take part in the new series of ‘My Club, no matter what club you support – get in touch through my Twitter account @Siwri88, or drop an e-mail to my address which is on the Contact Details page.

Comments