Higuain bids a fond farewell to Madrid

By Simon Wright - Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

Argentine hitman Gonzalo Higuain has declared he will be following Jose Mourinho out of Real Madrid this summer.

Juventus are in pole position to sign the attacker, but Arsenal might turn their attentions to Higuain after being priced out of the race for Stevan Jovetic.

The 25-year-old at the weekend said his final farewells to the Madrid crowd he has represented the past six years.  After finding the target in Real’s 4-2 victory over Osasuna in the final set of La Liga fixtures, Higuain (pictured) signalled his desire to move on for a new challenge.

As quoted in the Daily Mail, he said: “I am leaving Real Madrid, the decision has been made, I feel the time is right and I want a change of scenery. 

“I have not decided where I will go, but the club already know that I want to go.  It was my decision.  I feel that this is the end of my cycle here.  I came here for £10m and I am leaving for more.” 

It closes the book on an prolific spell with the Bernabeu side.  Higuain, who attained Argentine citizenship in 2007, scored 107 league goals in 187 appearances.

Since signing from River Plate in January 2007, Higuain has won three La Liga titles, and the Copa del Rey once.

He was also the only player to score a hat-trick at the 2010 World Cup finals, bagging a treble in Argentina’s group victory over South Korea in Johannesburg.

Read this article on A Different League

Comments