Wilshere targets future England captain role

By Simon Wright - Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

Arsenal and England’s influential midfielder Jack Wilshere has revealed his ambitions in the long-term are to captain both his club and the Three Lions, according to Sky Sports.

He said: “I want to captain Arsenal and I want to captain England.  That definitely appeals to me.  It’s my ultimate dream. 

“People say players are no longer bothered about wearing the England shirt.  But for me it’s the pinnacle of my job because club rivalries go out of the window and the entire nation comes together behind you - it’s the best feeling.” 

Wilshere (pictured) has ended the season on the Arsenal bench, nursing an ankle problem since February.  He came on in the closing stages of the Gunners’ Premier League victory at Newcastle United on Sunday which secured Champions League qualification for the 16th successive season under Arsene Wenger’s stewardship.

The ankle injury means the 21-year-old will miss England’s end of season friendlies in the next 11 days against the Republic of Ireland and Brazil.

Wilshere expects to be back in action for another England friendly against Scotland at Wembley in August, just four days before the scheduled start of the 2013-14 Premier League season.

He added: “I’m having an operation this week to deal with the irritating scar tissue caused by the screws, but it’s a minor process and I’ll only be rested up for a fortnight.” 

Wilshere spent over a year on the sidelines in 2011 as he suffered a stress fracture on his ankle, and returned in October 2012, scoring twice in 33 appearances in all competitions.

Read this article on A Different League

Comments