Williams keeping quiet amidst speculation

By Simon Wright - Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

Swansea City defender Ashley Williams is keeping his cards close to his chest, as speculation over his club future intensifies, but Teamtalk.com reports the Wales skipper expects to remain at the Liberty Stadium next season, yet could be tempted away with Arsenal and Liverpool fond admirers of the central defender.

Speaking after Swansea’s heavy 3-0 home defeat on the final day of the season to Fulham, the 28-year-old claims he knows nothing about a transfer to one of the bigger Premier League heavyweights.

He said: “As far as I know, I don’t know anything about it; I just read it in the papers like everyone else.  I play my football for Swansea City and now I’m just going away and looking forward to a holiday. 

“I’ve said before, I’ll take it as a compliment; it means you’re doing your job well.  I’ve done that this time; I haven’t looked too far into it.” 

Williams (pictured) worked with Brendan Rodgers before his departure to Anfield last summer, and has been identified as a replacement on Merseyside for the retiring Jamie Carragher.

Arsenal would offer Champions League football, and Arsene Wenger sees Williams as the perfect fit for extra competition in the Gunners backline.

The Welshman succeeded Aaron Ramsey as Wales’s captain back in October, and had another impressive season with the Swans, playing a pivotal role in their Capital One Cup triumph in February, as well as a top half Premier League finish.

Read this article on A Different League

Comments