Unsettled Skrtel considers his options

By Simon Wright - Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

In an interview in with a publication in native Slovakia, Martin Skrtel has confessed to his unhappiness at Liverpool, and is seriously considering his long-term future at Anfield.

The Daily Mirror has reported the central defender was annoyed by the fact he seemed to take the biggest flak from manager Brendan Rodgers for the shock FA Cup exit at the hands of Oldham in January. 

The 28-year-old has a terrible day at Boundary Park, and was physically overawed by Oldham striker Matt Smith, who scored twice in the Latics’ 3-2 victory over the Premier League outfit.

Since then, Skrtel (pictured) rarely featured for Liverpool.  He lost his first team place to the recently retired Jamie Carragher, and only started two Reds games from the beginning from February onwards.

He admitted: “I have not had any specific offers, but if some should come and they interest me, I would probably consider it seriously.  The club has the biggest say in this in any case, with me being contracted.  I’m not saying that I want to leave at any cost. 

“I feel sorry for what happened in this season, but I have been here for five-and-a-half years and I have built a position here.” 

Skrtel was voted the Standard Chartered Player of the Season by Liverpool fans in 2011-12, and signed a long-term contract with the club last August.

However, his unhappiness might encourage former club Zenit St. Petersburg, and tempt last summer’s suitors Manchester City to make an offer for the Slovak.

Read this article on A Different League

Comments