The Special One drops Chelsea hint

By Simon Wright - Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

In some revealing quotes after semi-final agony in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday night, Jose Mourinho has dropped his biggest hint at a return to Chelsea, reports talkSPORT.

The Real Madrid boss could only watch on as his side fell at the final four hurdle for the third successive season in Europe’s most prestigious club competition.

Late goals from Karim Benzema and Sergio Ramos were not enough to seethe current Spanish champions overcome a 4-1 deficit from the first leg against Borussia Dortmund.

In a hurried interview conducted by ITV’s Gabriel Clarke, Mourinho (pictured) said: “Maybe not, perhaps I won’t be here next year; I want to be where I want to be.” 

As the terrestrial broadcaster quickly disappeared off the air, Mourinho went on to explain his comments more in the post-match press conference.

He added: “I haven’t made a decision because I have a contract here (with Madrid).  In football, people break contracts when they want to but more than the contract, it’s the respect I have for the club and for the players. 

“I know that in England I am loved by the fans and the media, who are fair with me.  They criticise me when they have to but give me credit when I deserve it. 

“I know I am loved by some clubs, especially one, but in Spain it’s a bit different, some people hate me, many of them are in this room (Spanish journalists), so it’s difficult for me because I like the club.” 

Madrid haven’t won the Champions League since 2002, and that wait will continue despite an energising effort at the Bernabeu against the 1997 winners.

They are about to relinquish their La Liga champions tag, with Barcelona 11 points clear and just five games left to play.  However, there is a potential consolation in a Copa del Rey final with city rivals Atletico Madrid.

This morning, ITV released their own statement after receiving huge criticism from viewers for cutting Mourinho off in his prime.

It read: “Our reporter Gabriel Clarke managed to land an unexpected interview with Jose Mourinho with only two minutes left before the end of last night’s Champions League programme on ITV. 

“At that stage it was too late to arrange an overrun of the broadcast beyond the allotted time.  However, in a very tight, live situation, we showed as much as we possibly could of their exchange to viewers."
Read this article on A Different League

Comments