Pulis accepts his fate

By Simon Wright - Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

Tony Pulis has spoken for the first time since he was axed as boss of Stoke City last Tuesday, reveals the Independent.

His seven-year reign in the dugout at the Britannia Stadium came to an end, largely down to player unrest, pressure from the supporters and a damaging second half of the season, which took the Potters to their closest brush with relegation since entering the Premier League in 2008.

Just three wins in 19 games was the final straw, despite a final position of 13th, one place better than the previous campaign.

Although he was disappointed by the decision made by chairman Peter Coates, Pulis (pictured) was full of admiration for the owner and has nothing but good things to say about the club.

In a statement released on his behalf by the LMA, Pulis said: “Peter, his family and I have enjoyed every inch of the journey.  He has been truly a fantastic man to work with.  Although I am disappointed, I do understand what he means when he says the board feels a need to take the club in a different direction. 

“In leaving, I am very proud of what we have all achieved.  My immediate staff led by David Kemp, my backroom staff and all the training ground staff have been absolutely wonderful. 

“To the supporters who have, and rightly so, been congratulated for their outstanding support especially at the Britannia and finally to all the players who have worked under me during the seven-year tenure, I give my thanks for what has been a wonderful adventure.” 

Pulis guided the club to the top flight within two years of his second appointment at the club, and he has overseen a complete overhaul of the facilities available.

He also guided them on a European adventure for the first time and reached the FA Cup final in 2011.

Read this article on A Different League

Comments