Jagielka thanks Moyes

By Simon Wright - Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

Everton’s Phil Jagielka has given David Moyes a glowing reference as he prepares for a new challenge at Manchester United.

The Scot will officially start work at Old Trafford on July 1, and Jagielka has insisted his confidence and abilities as a defender have improved under the guidance of Moyes.

He said to Sky Sports: “David Moyes gave me a chance to play at a higher level, coached me to a better level and helped my game progress. 

“Over the last six years he has taken me from possibly being a Premier League defender to playing some games for England.  I have grown up.  I understand the role of playing for England and I am more than confident in my own ability.” 

Jagielka (pictured) is currently on England duty and played from the start in the laboured 1-1 friendly draw with the Republic of Ireland tonight.

He was at Sheffield United under the guidance of Neil Warnock, before Everton paid £4m for him in the summer of 2007.

He has since formed a solid partnership with Sylvain Distin in the Toffees backline.

Jagielka has thus far made over 175 league appearances for the Merseysiders, and won his first England cap in 2008, becoming a regular in the national squad after the 2010 World Cup.

Everton are still considering their next managerial options, although it is widely believed to be between the departing Wigan manager Roberto Martinez and FC Porto boss Vitor Pereira for the job.

Read this article on A Different League

Comments