Carroll thanks fans as permanent deal nears

By Simon Wright - Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

After being made surplus to requirements at Liverpool, Andy Carroll has admitted he is thankful to West Ham for the opportunities he has received in his loan period with the club.

Speaking to Teamtalk.com, the tall striker has impressed when he has stayed clear of injury in east London, and gave the Hammers a different option in attack.

He said: “I have enjoyed every minute of being here.  I have just tried to play my best in every match, score goals and keep myself fit once I got back from the injuries I had and then push on from there. 

“The West Ham fans have been brilliant - they were chanting my name all through the match (against Reading), they never stopped and I thank them for the way they have supported me here from the moment I arrived.” 

Carroll (pictured) scored seven times for the club, but became a menace in the second-half of the season, netting crucial goals against Southampton and the winner at home to Swansea that ensured Sam Allardyce’s team finished in the top 10 in the Premier League table.

His seemingly telepathic understanding with Kevin Nolan was shown again on Sunday, where the striker played a huge role in Nolan’s hat-trick as West Ham signed off their season at Upton Park with an entertaining 4-2 victory over Reading.

The upturn in his fortunes had seen the former Newcastle attacker win a recall to the England squad for next week’s friendlies with the Republic of Ireland and Brazil, before injury struck again which is likely to keep him out for four months.

However, a deal nears as Liverpool and West Ham have agreed a £15m fee for Carroll, and it is now up to the player to decide if he wants to make the move a permanent one.

Read this article on A Different League

Comments