Suarez decides to serve 10-match ban

By Simon Wright - Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has decided not to appeal against the 10-game ban handed down to him by the FA earlier this week, a statement on the club’s website has confirmed.

Suarez has been in the headlines of both the front and back pages all week after biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic on the arm during the Premier League encounter at Anfield between the two sides on Sunday.

On Wednesday, an independent panel met to review the incident and hand down the punishment to the Uruguay striker (pictured with Ivanovic), who is still one of six contenders to win the coveted PFA Players’ Player of the Year award this weekend.

Liverpool were disappointed with the ban, with manager Brendan Rodgers and Ian Ayre both voicing their concerns.  However, although the club considered an appeal against the suspension, Suarez released a statement confirming he accepts his lengthy absence.

The statement read: “I am truly very sorry about the incident with Branislav Ivanovic.  I hope that all the people who I have offended at Anfield last Sunday will grant me forgiveness and I again repeat my personal apology to Branislav. 

“I know that all the things that are happening to me in England will help me to improve my conduct on the field.  Right now I just want to focus on becoming a better footballer on and off the field. 

“I would like to explain to everybody that I decided to accept the ban because whilst 10 games is clearly greater than those bans given in past cases where players have actually been seriously injured, I acknowledge that my actions were not acceptable on the football pitch so I do not want to give the wrong impression to people by making an appeal.” 

Liverpool released their own statement shortly afterwards, with Ayre commenting: “The charges against Luis were his to consider and we have to respect his decision to not appeal the 10-game ban. 

“We are all disappointed at the severity of the punishment and in particular the differing standards that have been applied across various previous incidents.” 

Suarez’s suspension will start immediately, meaning he will miss tomorrow’s trip to Newcastle and Liverpool’s remaining three Premier League matches, including the Merseyside derby.  He will be available for selection again in September.

Read this article on A Different League

Comments