Carragher not changing his mind on retirement

Liverpool’s legendary defender Jamie Carragher has ruled out a change of heart in his decision to retire from football at the end of the campaign, reports the Daily Mail.

The 35-year-old recently made his 150th and final European appearance for the Merseysiders in their UEFA Europa League exit to Zenit St. Petersburg in round three.

In a career that has seen Carragher (pictured) win the FA Cup twice, the League Cup three times, the UEFA Super Cup twice and the Champions League in 2005, he will reach another milestone at the weekend.

The former England international will become only the eighth player in 21 years to make 500 Premier League appearances when he lines up against Tottenham on Sunday.

He will join Ryan Giggs, David James, the late Gary Speed, Sol Campbell, Phil Neville, Emile Heskey and Frank Lampard in the prestigious club.

Despite a revival in form, which has seen him displace Martin Skrtel in recent weeks, Carragher insists the decision he made last month to quit is final.

He said: “I’ve not had any second thoughts just because things are going well.  People say because I’m playing I should carry on for another year, but in fact being back in the team only confirms for me that I’ve made the right decision. 

“I want to go out on a high, proving I can still perform at that level. I want to stay in the team for the rest of the season and help the club get as many wins as possible – that’s my target.”

By Simon Wright - Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

Comments