Seventh red card for bad boy Barton

Often outspoken midfielder Joey Barton saw red for the seventh time in his colourful football career on Sunday night.

BBC Sport has reported on the latest dismissal, which came after picking up two very quick yellow cards in five minutes during Marseille’s shock home defeat to AS Nancy in the French league.

Barton said afterwards: “I am disappointed. I am partly responsible for this loss. I apologise to my teammates.

"The referee made his decisions, but I don’t think my tackles were too dangerous.”

Barton’s first red card came nine years ago when he was sent off on the way to the dressing room during Manchester City’s thrilling FA Cup fourth round replay comeback at Tottenham.

The 30-year-old (pictured) also famously saw red on the final day of last season for QPR at the Etihad for elbowing Carlos Tevez, then proceeded to head butt Sergio Aguero and attempted to do the same to Vincent Kompany, landing him with a record 12-game ban from the FA.

He moved to Marseille in August on a loan deal from the Hoops and is expected to make the move permanent in the summer.

Marseille’s 1-0 defeat leaves them six points behind league leaders PSG in third place.

By Simon Wright - Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

Comments