Begovic expects summer Stoke departure

The arrival of Jack Butland at Stoke looks set to pave the way for the exit of Asmir Begovic in the summer as the Bosnian admitted as much.

Football365.com reports the 25-year-old believes the Potters will be selling him after bringing in young stopper Butland from Birmingham on deadline day, before loaning him back to the Championship side for the rest of the season. 

Begovic (pictured) has denied reports though that he has already agreed to join Manchester United.

Speaking to a local Bosnian source Oslobodjenje, he said: “I read in the papers that I said no to (Manchester) City and yes to United, but the truth is, I haven’t decided on anything. 

“I didn’t say yes or no to anybody. I haven’t signed anything - no contract, no pre-contract. But I believe that Stoke didn’t buy Butland to be a reserve so I think I’m going to be sold in the summer.” 

Begovic put in another outstanding display at the weekend, keeping Arsenal frustrated until he was cruelly beaten by a deflected Lukas Podolski free-kick.

He has become one of the most league’s consistent goalkeepers since moving to the Britannia Stadium in 2010 from Portsmouth.

Begovic has displaced Thomas Sorensen, and become hot property across the world for his regular excellent displays.

He has also attracted the attention of Liverpool, with Pepe Reina’s future in doubt after speculation linked him with a move to Barcelona in the summer to replace the departing Victor Valdes.

By Simon Wright - Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

Comments