Shelvey keen to make his mark again

Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey is keen to make his mark again on the first team after a frustrating month on the sidelines, Liverpool’s official website reports.

In an interview with the Liverpool Echo, the 20-year-old, who had featured regularly this, particularly in Europe, wants to win back his place in the Reds’ starting XI.

Shelvey (pictured) is battling an illness that might rule him out of Sunday’s FA Cup trip to League One strugglers Oldham Athletic.

The newly-capped England international has not played Premier League football since a disappointing display in the 3-1 defeat to Stoke City on Boxing Day.

He said: “I’m really looking forward to Sunday and if I start then I’ve got to take my chance. I haven’t played in the league since the defeat at Stoke on Boxing Day.  That wasn’t a great game for me personally but the team didn’t play well either. 

“Since then I’m the one who has suffered a bit with coming out of the team but you have to accept it. It’s the manager’s decision and I’m just working hard every day to try and get back in the team.” 

Shelvey has figured 26 times in all competitions so far and scored four goals, all coming in Liverpool’s group stage UEFA Europa League campaign.  The club next face a last 32 tie with Zenit St. Petersburg next month.

The youngster, who had a loan spell at Blackpool last season, scored his first senior goal for Liverpool last year in the third round FA Cup triumph over Oldham.

By Simon Wright - Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

Comments